Les Champs de L’Abbaye
Alain & Isabelle Hasard
Aluze, Burgundy, France
Les Champs de l’Abbaye: a family domaine consisting of six hectares spread out within various appellations of the Cote Chalonnaise, Les Champs de l’Abbaye takes its name from the first parcel they bought. Evoking “the alchemy of turning land into spirit, we couldn’t imagine a better way of expressing the philosophy that guides our winemaking.”
Certified Biodynamic by Demeter. Certified Organic by ECOCERT.“At the cellar, we use only natural yeasts, and follow the profile specific to each vintage and each terroirs, thus avoiding additives or manipulations of any kinds. The wines are bottled without fining or filtration.” So, everything is naturally grown on their estate, hand harvested, fermented using the natural/indigenous yeast for spontanious fermentation with no additives, without fining or filtering.
- Bourgogne Rouge: A blend of different plots grown organically in the commune of Aluze. Age of the vines: 10, 40 and 50 years. Very nice soil limestone or Marly limestone of the Middle Jurassic. Average yield: 20 hl/ha. Total Destemming – yeast native-pressing manual vertical – breeding in barrels (70%) including 20% new barrels.
- MERCUREY Rouge, La Brigadiere: Lieux-dit, Light brown surface soil with scree white limestone, white marl sub-soil. Southwest exposure. Parcel is just above 1st crus. Area: 0,5 ha – Age: 35-40 years-Yeild: 20 hl/ha. 10 days fermentation: 11 months in barrels (20% new) and one-month tank Assembly.
- MERCUREY Rouge, Marcoeurs: Calcareous soil with shell debris, red ferruginous soil. East-South-East exposure. Just under the 1er Miglands plots. Total area: 0.78 ha – Age: 15 and 40 years – performance: 20 hl/ha. Natural yeast – fermenting GST: 12 days with 5 days of natural-pre-fermentation maceration. Aging: 12 months in barrels, 20% new.
- The MONTHÉLIE Rouge: Calcareous soil, exposed to the levant. Steep slope. Land light, gravel and filter. 45-50 year old vines. Yield: 20 hl/ha – native yeast. 12 days maceration: – 60% fermented in new barrels. 12 months aging in barrels and 2 months in tank.
- Bourgogne Blanc: High quality limestone Soils, located in the commune of Aluze. 0.50 ha – Yeild: 20 hl/ha horizontal pressing of whole grapes – natural yeast – 8 months ave. fermentation with malo-lactic in barrels (from 0 to 3 years)-Assembly in stainless steel vats for 1 month then bottled without fining or filtration gravity.
- White RULLY Cailloux: Clay-limestone soil (lower part of the plot) and limestone/lavas (upper) – East Southeast exp., 30 yr. old vines – Yeild: 15 hl/Ha. Long fermentation (10 mos.), malo-lactic in barrels (50% new) – aged 13 months.