Dominio de Punctum
Castilla La Mancha, Spain
After eight generations as growers, In 2005, a new generation of the Fernandez-Cifuentes family led by Jesus Fernandez and his sister, winemaker, Ruth Fernandez, founded Dominio de Punctum Organic Estate and Winery in their family’s old vineyards with the goal of producing quality organic and biodynamic wines under their own label(s). Dominio de Punctum is located about 105 miles south of Madrid and consists of 110 hectares of vineyards. The vineyards sit at an altitude of 750 meters above sea level with a continental climate and sandy loamy soil, rich in limestome making it an ideal place to grow quality wines naturally.
The winery’s commitment to organic and biodynamic farming and cellar practices allows it to deliver wines beautiful, elegant wines while taking care of the environment. Punctum wines are completely chemical free.
- Green harvest is performed at the beginning of the season to help guide the plants without upsetting the natural growth and balance of the palnt.
- Green manure is used in the vineyards to cultivate strong vines and develop increase microorganisms in the vineyard.
- Training method/syste:. 2 meters high trellis
- Yield. 6.000-8.000 kg hectare. 3.572 plants per hectare, machine harvested
- Age of vines. 10 years
- Climate: Continental with altitude of 600 meters above sea level.
- Oak is only used for the family’s Graciano and Cabernet Sauvignon. Dominio, with it’s young vines and ideal climate is ultimately going for freshness.
- Indigenous yeast is used in the winemaking
- Family Winemaking history: 8 generations growing vines
- winemaker: Ruth Fernandez is part of the family and is the winemaker
- Fermentation process: 1 to 3 days of cold maceration before fermenting and malolactic after alcoholic fermentation, all in stainless steel tanks.
Viento Aliseo – Biodynamic Project. Wines include: Viognier and a Tempranillo-Petit Verdot blend.
Certified biodynamic by Demeter, organic by CAAE.
– Varietal labelled wines from the estate’s organic vineyards. Wines include: Chardonnay-Viognier, a Tempranillo-Merlot, Syrah, Sauvignon Blanc, Viognier, Chardonnay and a delightful Rose. Other lines include: Finca Fabian, Roble and Lobetia.